Compuboost was founded in 1992 as a computer repair service, computer upgrade and new computer sales store. Since then we have serviced over 300,000 pcs in the southern Orange County area. Services include general computer service, computer upgrades, computer repair, data recovery and virus removal.
Our repair services has expanded, and as a special internet offer, we give Free Diagnosis (Normally a $80 value) coupon below. We have also expanded our service to include electronic waste recycling, and with our experience in repairing motor controller, we offer premium electric bikes as well.
Mention you found us on the internet and get a free diagnostic ($80 value)
Computer Service: Upgrades
Many times, the life of a computer can be extended by just repairing the faulty item, or upgrading a critical item like more RAM memory or larger and faster hard drive.
The most common upgrades are
- RAM : additional RAM helps programs run better. However, that only goes only so far. Too much memory and it is not used. For 32bit systems like Windows 98, XP or Vista, 4GB is about the maximum Ram that can be used (only 3.2GB can actually used). For 64bit OS, like Windows 10, 8GB is recommended, and the more the better (up to 16GB for office systems, and 32GB or more for engineering workstations and gaming applications).
Windows 7 and Windows 8 (as well as Windows 10) have both 32bit and 64bit , so the RAM upgrade will be dependent on which version.
2. Upgrade Hard drive. Here, there are two directions. First to go bigger. Hard drives are now made as large as 16TB or 16000GB for a single 3.5″ drive, and 4TB or 4000GB for a single 2.5″ laptop drive. This gives a huge boost typically to most systems.
Normally a larger drive will give faster performance. Not because the speed is faster, but the data is denser, so the same information can be read off in quicker chunks. To explain this, for example a 100MB file in a 100GB drive may occupy one sector. 100MB in a 1TB or 1000GB drive would only occupy 1/10 of that same sector. Data transfer rates does not scale linearly, but typically it would still be faster because of the geometry needed is much less than for a 100GB drive.
A second hard drive upgrade is to go SSD, or Solid State Drive. Here, the drive is actually Flash RAM, similar to a USB flash RAM. Since Ram is an order of magnitude faster than a rotational device like regular hard drive, SSD will provide instant improvement in overall computer speed.
Recent advancements in SSD technology now means they are both fast and large, upto 2TB or 2000GB in size. There are very popular since they are always in stock, and we have 24 hour turnaround, including copying or mirroring the old drive to the new drive. You upgrade will be seamless.
Computer Repair Service: Virus and Malware Removal
We remove infected computers and laptops, PCs and Macs, whether able to boot up or not. To help with diagnosis, we offer Free coupon for Internet users. Just print out and bring in, or show the coupon on your cell phone.
What is a virus versus Malware?.
Virus in the computer world are programs or codes that a malicious user tries to load (hack) onto a victims computer. Malware is a more recent development. It is perfectly running code, that has been changed to do something unexpected or undesired by the victim. For example, a famous old virus was the ILoveYou virus, which when activated, began overwriting the victims files, one by one.
As antivirus became prevalent, and simple virus no longer could penetrate computers (because there code is know, since they are actual programs), hackers had to evolve. The hackers changed too, whereas originally there were many smart, but amateur people doing the hacking. professionals soon took over.
Removing Malware is difficult. Since it is written by professionals, and not high school hackers anymore, they usually have several entry points, many backup attacks, and are extremely well disguised
Just running tools by anti virus and malware writers are usually not enough. We use manual intervention, looking for things or items slightly out of place, to ferret out malware and their hidden triggers. These items may be on the desktop, in user files, hidden system files, even oddities like slight color difference or names. Many malware looks and acts just like the real thing (for example Chromium versus Chrome) so it takes an experienced eye to find them all.
Computer Repair Service: Windows or OS Installation
Compuboost provides Operating System repair and or install, either Mac OS or Windows. Windows installation is typically through DVD or USB flash. Unable to start up can be a manifestation of a myriad of problems. We have the tools that can fix Operating systems, and hardware issues even if the system cannot boot.
Todays motherboard use two types of installation. The first is called legacy, and all operating system data is on the drive. The second is called UEFI. This difference is important as the OS serial number (Product code in Windows) is actually embedded in the motherboard itself. This is so that is Windows is reloaded, there is no need to type the Product code, it comes from the motherboard itself. Starting with Windows 8, then Windows 10, this is the prevalent case today.
Operating system installation service include loading all drivers. We can also assist in moving over Email and programs, and setting up desktop.
Computer Repair Service: Files transfer to New computer service
We provide file transfer computer service. There are three scenarios for reinstalling a new Operation System (OS, mac or PC)
- New OS installed on formatted drive that is separate from older drive, files copied from old drive to folder on New OS in new drive. This is commonly used on new system, or failed hardware on old drive.
- New OS from non-formatted drive, files are moved from old OS to new OS. This is if the old drive is undamaged. This procedure is common in removing virus and malware.
- Reconstruct Image. Entire drive is imaged, sector by sector. Then system is tuned up and repaired as needed. This method only works if the original drive and windows is undamaged It is most commonly used when increasing the size of a drive, or upgrading from rotational drive to Solid State Drive (SSD)
Computer Repair Service: Tuneup PC or Mac
If your computer is running slow, has pop-ups, slow internet and a host of similar problems, we will clean up system, optimize the hard drive, update all the drivers, update OS to latest revision, delete cache and temp files, and uninstall unnecessary startup programs. Typical time to complete is 5 hrs.
Typical Tuneups take several hours, as many as six. We use a checklist of at least 40 items, from file clean up, manual registry clean, uninstall unused programs, drive defragmentation and optimization, update drivers and update Windows or Mac OS to latest versions appropriate to the system.
Computer Repair Service: Data Recovery
We offer data recovery services locally for all but the most damaged systems. There is no charge if data is not recovered, except Level 5, which does have a handling charge and a commitment to recover is recovery is possible.
Data Recovery Levels
- Level 1: Format HD, Accidental File Deletion. No Physical HD damage. No charge is data not recovered.
- Level 2: Data Corruption, Beginnings of Physical HD failure (overheating, bad blocks) No charge is data not recovered.
- Level 3: Some Physical HD damage (bad blocks, head crash and misalignment. Intermittant Hard drive. No charge is data not recovered.
- Level 4: Moderate Physical HD damage. Burn’t circuit board. Drive spins but does not read. No charge is data not recovered.
- Level 5: Serious Damage. No motor. Head not working. Total failure. Nominal charge and customer must commit to recovery if it is possible.
Computer Repair Near Me
We service the following cities:
- Aliso Viejo
- Coto de Caza
- Foothill Ranch
- Ladera Ranch
- Laguna Beach
- Laguna Hills
- Laguna Niguel
- Laguna Woods
- Lake Forest
- Mission Viejo
- Rancho Santa Margarita
- San Clemente
- San Juan Capistrano